General biofeedback is a therapeutic modality that can help individuals obtain greater control over physiological functions such as heart rate, breathing, body temperature, sweat gland activity, and muscle tension. Increased control results in improved health and well-being. During general biofeedback sessions, various instruments (from sophisticated machines to simple hand-held thermometers) are used to provide information to individuals about the state of their physiological processes. They are then trained to adjust these states and improve regulation to ease a wide range of symptoms.
Through general biofeedback, clients learn self-regulation skills and coping strategies to use when experiencing anxiety and stressful situations. General biofeedback is the process of learning to use new strategies to regulate one’s physiology. It is extremely effective for those whose goal is to improve mood, reduce anxiety, increase focus, and regulate pain. Our biofeedback modalities include:
- PNG (Pneumography) or respiration training which uses a sensor placed around the abdomen to detect the rate of breathing. Breath regulation is essential in creating well-functioning heart-rate variability. It helps to reduce anxiety, panic attacks, stress, and more.
- Skin Conductance which measures the body’s level of arousal and is used to help patients learn to regulate their sympathetic nervous systems
- Temperature Training that helps regulate blood supply throughout the body, which is helpful for migraine, neuropathy, pain, and more.
- EMG (Surface Electromyographic Biofeedback) which detects tension in muscles and trains for their relaxation. It is used for pain, tension, and headache relief.
- Emwave “Heart Math” which trains an individual to improve heart-rate variability leading to increased calming and generally improved functioning.
To get started with general biofeedback, a qEEG is not necessary. Once you have completed an initial consultation you can begin general biofeedback sessions! If you are interested in receiving biofeedback services or have any questions, please call or Contact Us!